Are you looking to take your career to new heights with a leader in healthcare? SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is one of the nation's leading metropolitan medical centers. As the only academic medical center in Brooklyn, we serve a large population that is among the most diverse in the world. We are also highly-ranked by Castle Connolly Medical, a healthcare rating company for consumers, among the top 5 leading U.S. medical schools for training doctors.
The Department of Ophthalmology at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is seeking a full-time Ophthalmic Technician / TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist 3. The successful candidate will:
- Promptly and professionally assist the doctor in patient care.
- Efficiently and accurately interview patients and document history.
- Perform technical workups and special testing.
- Must accurately perform and record various tests, such as:
- Visual acuity measurement
- Manual and Automatic Refraction
- Measure pupil size and reactivity
- Test and measure eye muscle function
- Visual field testing
- Corneal thickness measurement
- Corneal curvature measurement
- Corneal topography
- Retina nerve fiber layer measurement
- Retinal thickness and topography
- Fluorescein angiography
- A and B scan ultrasonography
- Maintain and clean all equipment used.
- Be responsible for cleaning and high level disinfection of ophthalmic ultrasound equipment.
- Perform routine operational maintenance of ocular equipment and surgical instruments, and report to supervisor if not in working condition.
- Return phone calls to patients and pharmacies.
- Prepare for in-office procedures.
- Prepare dirty instruments for transport to Central Sterile.
- Be responsible for preparation and stocking of examination rooms.
- Be responsible for monitoring medication inventory.
- Be responsible for monitoring supply inventory.
- Conduct supply ordering.
- Conduct medication ordering.
- Be responsible for checking and maintaining logs for refrigerator temperature, oxygen, disposable lenses, specimens, etc.
- Obtain reports of microbiology, pathology, radiology, etc.
- Maintain clinical area in a neat, clean and professional manner.
- Demonstrate flexibility and perform other duties as requested and required based on the need of the business.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact Human Resources at 718-270-3025.