Are you looking to take your career to new heights with a leader in healthcare? SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is one of the nation's leading metropolitan medical centers. As the only academic medical center in Brooklyn, we serve a large population that is among the most diverse in the world. We are also highly-ranked by Castle Connolly Medical, a healthcare rating company for consumers, among the top 5 leading U.S. medical schools for training doctors.
The Department of Medicine at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is seeking a full-time Sub-Internship & Clerkship Coordinator / Staff Assistant.
Under the supervision of the Clerkship Leadership team, Associate Dean for Clinical Medicine and Clerkship Director(s) and the Administrator for Clinical Years Curriculum and processes, the successful candidate will provide administrative support and coordinate all aspects of the Medicine Sub-Internship and a portion of the Medicine Clerkship.
The Medical Education Clerkship Coordinator (MECC) coordinates the day-to-day administrative aspects of the Sub-I in collaboration with the Clerkship Director, Associate Director, and other institutional administrative offices such as the Dean's Office and the Department of Medical Education/Office of Medical Education. The MECC reports directly to the Department Administrator, Clerkship Directors and the Administrator for Clinical Years Curriculum and processes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Medicine Sub-Internship Role (MS4)
- Organization of the Medicine Sub-Internship for the 125 students submitting the hospitals/month choices
- Communicate with Registrar’s Office to obtain the monthly student rosters and adjust assignments as needed.
- Prepare the monthly student list and communicate with the hospital sites administrators.
- Enter student rotations for the entire academic year in New Innovations.
- Monthly Orientation Announcement e-mail to the students -including specific instructions for the sites.
- Accommodate last-minute student requests with the approval of Sub-Internship Director/Registrar Office.
- Tracking of Qualtrics tools for MCF, Mistreatment reporting, Observed History and Physical.
- Prepare the Medicine Sub-Internship rotations in New Innovations
- Prepare students’ Medicine Final Year composite drafts.
- For VSLO- vetted applicants, examine and certify documents submitted by the visiting students to ensure compliance with the program requirements. Secure necessary EMR access and obtain student’s final evaluation.
- Support the scheduling and preparation of the Medicine Chairman Letters of Recommendation for MS4 students applying for residency.
- Maintain all information regarding student affairs as highly confidential.
Weekly Preceptorship sessions for MS3 students rotating at UHB and KCH:
- Preceptor calendar building before the start of the academic year by requesting availability to Medicine Department Faculty.
- Monthly reminders to the scheduled Faculty in preparation for their role as preceptors.
- Arrange with the Faculty for the date and time for the first preceptorship meeting.
- Emailing Faculty and students (3-4) with the information for the first meeting.
- A total of 4-5 different arrangements need every month.
- Finding coverage for unforeseen faculty absence.
- Preparing zoom meetings for remote preceptorship sessions.
Bedside exam for 3rd year students rotating at UHB and KCH:
- Ensure that clerkship students doing the 2nd month of Medicine at Downstate and KCHC Hospitals have their bedside exam arranged and scheduled for the second or third week of the rotation.
- Identify faculty members available 1-2 weeks prior to bedside exam. Managing of unforeseen faculty absences
- Identify communication/coordination with the faculty for date/time of the bedside,
- Distribution of the Bedside Rubric Instructions to the faculty and students.
- On the day of the bedside, provide final instructions to the students taking the exam.
- Collection of the bedside grade P/F
- Ensuring that any failures are immediately reported to the Clerkship director due to the need to have a retake within one week of the failed exam and within the 4th week of the rotation.
- Proficient with Excel and Word.
- Ability to independently prioritize work.
- Exceptional organizational skills; demonstrate initiative and ability to utilize resources effectively.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Other requirements:
- Ability to organize information.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with absolute confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to make decisions independently or to escalate issues as needed.
- Works within the training offices.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org