Are you looking to take your career to new heights with a leader in healthcare? SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is one of the nation's leading metropolitan medical centers. As the only academic medical center in Brooklyn, we serve a large population that is among the most diverse in the world. We are also highly-ranked by Castle Connolly Medical, a healthcare rating company for consumers, among the top 5 leading U.S. medical schools for training doctors.
The Department of Nursing at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is seeking a full-time Registered Nurse 1, Emergency Room (Nights).
The registered Nurse 1 (T&RC) is a full performance level nurse position and possesses a license as a registered professional nurse in New York State; under the general direction of a higher level registered nurse or licensed health care provider, independently provides direct nursing care to individuals in accordance with Article 139 of the Education Law; supervises nursing care activities; and provides clinical supervision and training to Graduate Nurses (T&RC), Teaching & Research Center Licensed Practical Nurses, and direct care staff.
- Prepares or assists with preparation of nursing care plans consistent with individuals’ comprehensive treatment plans and medical needs.
- Carries out treatment procedures, administers medications, and monitors individuals’ conditions.
- Records notes and maintains individuals’ medical records and nursing care plans, including nursing care, medications, and treatments, reactions to care and treatment, intake and output of liquids and solids, and vital signs.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and revision of individual care plans as a member of a multidisciplinary treatment team.
- Modifies nursing care plans based on individual condition and responses to care and treatment.
- Triages individuals by inquiring about illnesses, injuries, and symptoms, and records findings and observations.
- Assesses findings, and either refers individuals directly to a physician in emergency cases or initiates appropriate remedial action; as directed, assists physicians with treatment functions.
- Provides education and counseling to individuals and families regarding health, medications, procedures, and treatment goals.
- Practices and ensures compliance with established infection control policies and procedures.
- May train paraprofessional staff by demonstrating nursing techniques and providing instructions on use of techniques and nursing equipment.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org